I’m a little delayed in getting this out here – I worked from 12/30 to 1/1 with some CRAZY shifts – and so my plan to have this up and published by actual New Year’s Day got put on the back burner. But better late than never, right?
Last year I didn’t make any New Years Resolutions. I was too stressed and overwhelmed and I didn’t feel like I was in a place where I could keep any goals for 2018. I had a hard time thinking of the next week, much less the entire year. I needed to focus on making it through all of the challenges I was facing, and I needed to focus on keeping myself intact through all of it.
This year I’m in a MUCH better place mentally and physically, so much so that I felt like I was in a spot where I could make and keep New Years Resolutions. So I sat down and tried to make out a plan. That’s when I realized I had a ton of things I wanted to accomplish for this year and age twenty-five (perks of having my birthday of NYE!) However, everything had a common theme.
So 2019 will be a year focused on becoming a better me
I further broke down my goal of a better me in to four categories, because I did want to work on all of those specific, smaller goals, but I still wanted something broad enough that I could adjust during the year as I changed and grew. And then of course I have specific small goals within those categories to keep me focused. Sounds simple, right?
So without further ado, here are my goals for 2019
- think more before speaking – be more conscientious of the things I say and how others might interpret it
- read at least ONE book for “fun” every week – I used to LOVE reading, and I would love to get back to it
- learn Spanish – seriously this would be the most helpful accomplishment for work
- learn how to take and edit better photos – allow my creative side to really grow and give myself an escape from the stress of medicine
- write down one thing I’m grateful for every day – even if its just a word or two, or something simple
- say “No” to things that will only add to my stress – remember that I don’t need to always help others at the expense of myself
- be more present! – Spend less time on social media, and spend less time obsessing over things I can’t change
- travel more – take advantage of days off and experience more of the world
- drink less soda and more water – this is actually my goal every year, month, week lol
- work out at least FOUR times per week – actually use the FitBody App and become more toned!
- run a 10k without stopping by June – and then continue to run
- take better care of my skin and make more of an effort in my appearance – religiously apply sunscreen and use all of those products I bought in the Sephora sale; do more than just roll out of bed before starting my day
- be more active on Stethoscope and Sparkle – no better way to better my future than by helping others
- actively seek out learning experiences – take advantage of learning opportunities no matter where they come from
- spend less money, save more – budget and stick to it!
- continue to add my resume – focusing on volunteering and skills that will make me more marketable
Well see how achieving all of these goals this year actually go! But, even if I fail at them, I know that the act of making the effort will make me into a better me.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that countsWinston Churchill
I would love to hear some of y’alls’ goals/resolutions for 2019! Comment below and share them with me. Or send me an email if they’re too personal! I would love if we can all could hold each other accountable. I’m hoping to do updates every 2 months on how I’m progressing at my goals!
And as always, feel free to subscribe to get emails with new posts sent directly to your inbox! I promise not to spam you (I actually probably send less emails than I should). And follow along on social media (FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER) as I try to survive life as a PA-C with a stethoscope and some sparkle